An appeals court has lifted a judge’s injunction that blocked construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada.
But it’s not clear whether the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals’ ruling Thursday will have any immediate effect.
TC Energy, the company that wants to build the line, previously said it is too late to begin work this year.
In a brief statement to Global News, the company said:
“We are pleased with the ruling. We look forward to advancing the project.”
The three-judge appeals panel ordered the lawsuit by environmental and Native American groups dismissed because President Donald Trump had revoked a 2017 permit allowing the $8-billion pipeline to be built.
Trump issued a new permit to take its place, which Justice Department attorneys say makes the legal challenge over the pipeline’s environmental effects moot.
Attorneys for the plaintiffs accuse Trump of trying to skirt the law and they have filed another, ongoing lawsuit to block the new presidential permit.
Watch below: Ongoing Global News coverage of the Keystone XL pipeline project
© 2019 The Canadian Press