Albertans are heading to the polls for a spring election on Tuesday, April 16.
As a way of helping you make an informed decision on election night, Global News is keeping track of all the promises made by the main parties vying for your vote.
Here is a closer look at what the parties have pledged on the carbon tax.
- Alberta’s carbon levy is applied to diesel, gasoline, natural gas and propane. Details of the NDP’s climate leadership plan can be found here.
- March 31: $81 million for Alberta farmers from the carbon tax to transition to more energy efficient equipment
To see all of the promises made by the Alberta NDP, click here.
United Conservative Party
- Scrap the Alberta carbon tax
- March 30: Kenney said he’d end the carbon tax and replace it with a program called Technology Innovation and Emissions Reductions, targeting large emitters of greenhouse gases.
- April 1: UCP will file formal court challenge of federal carbon tax no later than April 30.
To see all of the promises made by the UCP, click here.
- Cancel the NDP carbon tax for families, small business, farms, non-profit organizations and municipal governments
- Require large industrial emitters to reduce their emissions under “properly-structured carbon price”
To see all of the promises made by the Alberta Party, click here.
Alberta Liberal Party
- Create a revenue-neutral carbon tax
To see all of the promises made by the Alberta Liberal Party, click here.
Promises will be tracked throughout the election campaign, so be sure to check back here for updated party platforms.
© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.